Answer ALL questions from Part A
- It is generally observed that free speech and privacy are frequently in conflict with each other and solutions to ethical issues involving these two fundamental rights need to be appropriately balanced.
- Define what is considered offensive speech and discuss two approaches that are commonly employed to regulate the propagation of offensive speech in the Internet. (10%)
- Discuss the privacy issues involved in electronic surveillance by governments and explain the “roving tap” authority concept. (10%)
- Answer the following questions on Intellectual Property Rights
- What is meant by the terms “Intellectual Property” and “Intellectual Property Rights”. (5%)
- Explain the distinction between copyright and moral rights. (5%)
- What is WIPO? (2%)
- Explain how copyright law is of importance to the IT industry, and discuss the impact of the WIPO Copyright Treaty. (8%)
- One of the key characteristics that distinguishes between a computing professional and other categories of worker is that the former has a clear commitment to abide by a code of ethics which is administered by professional organisations such as British Computing Society (BCS).
- List the main objectives of the professional code of ethics and explain its main obstacle in enforcement. (10%)
- Name three of the several kinds of relationship in which a computing professional is likely to be involved in and describe one ethical issue that might arise in each of the given relation. (10%)