Ms. Debbie Pang, Purchasing Officer of an university in Hong Kong, invited tenders for the supply of 150,000 pieces of 3 ply surgical masks.
Specification of the disposable surgical masks are as follows:
- Surgical masks are made from non-woven cellulose material
- Rectangularshapewith measurements: Width – 95mm, length – 175mm
- Mustbe3 ply
- Shouldhavefolds in the middle of 15mm in width
- Shouldhave soft and comfortable elastic ear loop of 18mm
- Bacteria filtration efficiency standard (BFE) > 98%
- Particlefiltration efficiency standard (PFE) > 98%
- Viralfiltrationefficiency standard (VFE) >98%
- USA:ASTM F2100 standard or Europe: EN14683 or equivalent
Debbie adopted two-envelope competitive bidding tender exercise. On the tender closing date, Debbie received 5 tenders with samples from the potential suppliers . In view of two-envelope bidding, Debbie opened the technical proposal first.
|A||No||BFE PFE > 90% only|
|E||No||2 ply only|
After the assessment, Debbie found that the products offered by the Suppliers A and E could not comply with the specifications as required in the tender document. The products offered by suppliers B, C and D all complied with the specification, however, their quality in terms of workmanship, eye loop, thickness of the materials and packaging were various. Debbie invited the tender board members in a meeting to rate the quality of the products offered by suppliers. The quality ratings were as follows:
|Supplier||Quality Rating 100%|
after technical assessment, Debbie then opened the price proposal and the offers were as follows
|Supplier||Offers||Add. Flight Cost||Total|
The technical and price weighting were listed in the tender document as 70% and 30% respectively.
Q1. Which supplier should be selected in this tender exercise? What are the rankings of the 3 suppliers?
Q2. Which supplier should be selected if the technical and price weighting were 30% and 70%? What are the rankings of the 3 suppliers?